BFC’s office coordinator, Lara Anderson, represents! Photo by Stephany Seay, Buffalo Field Campaign.
Many of you know the dire predicament wild buffalo face year after year – a troublesome situation that is written into the statutes including Montana’s code. Whether you reside in Montana or visit Yellowstone, you have the right to speak up for the buffalo wherever they roam.
Now is the time to engage Montana’s political leaders through our Act for Buffalo: Repeal and Replace! web page and take timely, important action in defense of our beloved buffalo.
We are monitoring several bills that are moving quickly through the 2019 Montana legislative session.
- HB 132 – a bill to redefine wild buffalo out of existence passed the Senate 30 YEAS, 20 NAYS and returned to the House with amendments (March 22, 2019). A House floor vote is imminent. Contact Montana state representatives to vote against HB 132.
- HB 332 – a bill requiring county approval to relocate wild buffalo anywhere in Montana – passed the House 56 YEAS, 41 NAYS and will be heard in the Senate Agriculture, Livestock & Irrigation committee Tuesday, March 26 at 3 PM in Room 303 of the Capitol building. Contact Montana state senators to vote against HB 332.
- On a positive note, HB 478 strips the Dept. of Livestock of some of their authority over wild buffalo, a perfect opportunity to have your message heard: repeal and replace MCA 81-2-120. A hearing is scheduled in the House Agriculture committee Thursday, March 21 at 3 PM in Room 137 of the Capitol building.
Keep Wildlife Wild! Photo by Stephany Seay, Buffalo Field Campaign.
There are a number of ways for you to be an effective voice for the shaggy giants weathering the political storm in Helena, Montana.
- You can leave messages for up to 5 individual legislators or 1 legislative committee at the Session Information Desk (406) 444-4800.
- You can contact Governor Steve Bullock and ask him to veto HB 132 and HB 332.
- You can email legislators or a legislative committee to oppose HB 132 and HB 332.
- You can write a letter to your local paper in opposition to HB 132 and HB 332.
It’s important for the people supporting wild buffalo to be heard and represented in the political halls. Thank you for acting for buffalo!